16 June 1492 "Das Haus Bey der Stiegen" ('The House by the Steps'). Let's take a trip back to the Salzburg of this time. According to Copernicus the world is no longer flat; it is in fact a spinning globe and, as a result, America is discovered. This is the world as it stood when the 'Brauhaus an der Gstatten' was first mentioned in written record on 16 June 1492. The "Prewhaws" is located in the heart of Salzburg's Old Town, at the spot where the Haus der Natur is now situated. The name 'Stiegl' only appears a little later. It refers to a small set of steps situated next to the brew house. At the "Haus Bey der Stiegen", brewing water is fetched from the Almkanal, which supplies the city with fresh water.